Sunday, September 14, 2008

Invisible Illness Week, September 8-14, 2008

This will stay at the top until  Invisible Illness Week is over on September 14.
Scroll down to view other posts,
including my post on my Invisible Illness.



Statistics show that nearly 1 in 2 people in the USA have a chronic condition and that 96% of it is invisible.

So what is an invisible illness?  All kinds of conditions! Multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, diabetes, arthritis, heart disease, autism, migraines, chronic back pain, cancer, endometriosis, eating disorders, and yes... mental illness and depression.  There is no sign of the illness existing, nor  (at least not until the debilitating stages) the use of an assistive device like a cane or a wheelchair.


National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week, September 8-14, 2008, is an outreach to increase awareness that living with an invisible illness can be emotional challenge—as well as physical—and that more people than we would imagine are suffering silently.

Respondents answered the survey at www.invisibleillness.com and reported the following other annoying comments people tend to make:


  • “Your illness is caused by stress.” (14.22%)

  • “If you stopped thinking about it and went back to work…” (12.42%)

  • “You can’t be in that much pain. Maybe you just want attention.” (10.95%)

  • “Just pray harder.” (9.15%)



Believe me, we wish it were that easy.

Join me in prayer for the 133 million sufferers of invisible illness in America and the countless others worldwide.  Our strength, our hope is Jesus Christ the son of the living One True God.

Are you a sufferer of an invisible illness?  So am I.  I have dermatomyositis, interstitial lung disease, and Raynaud's Phenomenon.   Leave me a comment and let me know how I can pray for you!

If you homeschool with an invisible illness and are looking for others who truly "get it" try the "Doing it Anyway" forum at the Homeschool Lounge  or the Beyond Surviving Homeschooling forum at Rest Ministries' Sun Room.






3 comments:

  1. Great post Celia! Do you mind if I copy some it into a post of my own for invisible illness week on my blog? Also- I started a prayer board on our web site where people can pray for homeschool mommas with chronic conditions. I have you on their.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celia,

    Always wonderful to find other homeschoolers who are living this journey with chronic illness. I'm sorry for your struggle, but will enjoy following your school year. Would love to have you drop by my page too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post, thanks for that added support!


    Along with Lupus, I am also dealing with Sjorjgen's Syndrome...it is a pain and I have had major dental issues due to my dry mouth.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed by the blog author prior to publication.