Friday, April 10, 2009

So what have we been up to?

Well, in the past several months and in the last couple in particular, I have come to realize that dd8 has Attention Deficit Disorder, ADD.  No hyperactivity, she's just highly distractable, forgetful, disorganized, doesn't retain math facts  or grammar/spelling rules, etc.

No, that's not an official diagnosis, it's just a mom's diagnosis.  I really don't care to take her to the doctor to receive an "official" diagnosis, I want to know how I can help her.

I've read and read about ADD.....on the Internet and in books.   Some helpful folks have been Dianne Craft, Melinda Boring, Carol Barnier, Dr. Bob, and many more.  What I've read has really changed how I look at ADD.

In the past, I just thought....if ONLY she'd just try harder, or concentrate more, just buckle down and get 'er done.  Now, I'm understanding that it's truly a brain connection thing but diet, mental and physical exercises, and retraining can help.

Well, I'm up to the challenge......I hope.     God is my  strength and I may crawl before it's through, but we'll get there together. 

You know, when God leads you to homeschooling, it really isn't necessarily all about teaching the student.  I think God is teaching the parents just as much along the way.....if not teaching them even more. 

I've come a long way in patience since first starting to homeschool, but still have a long way to go.  This ADD thing is challenging me more.  And not only in the patience department, but it re-thinking how I can set up a learning environment that is helpful to her.  I'll talk more about some of the changes I'll be making another time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed by the blog author prior to publication.