Monday, January 22, 2018

Review: Bread of Angels

Bread of Angels Bread of Angels by Tessa Afshar
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Great story! I love how the author takes a few verses from the Bible and then creates a great backstory. I did not realize until after I had finished this book that her novel The Land of Silence tied into this novel and actually comes first in sequence of time. However, it is not necessary to read it first. The books can each fully stand alone.

For this novel, Tessa Afshar creates a backstory for Lydia, the seller of purple who has a brief mention in the New Testament. The story is plausible and enjoyable. I learned so much about business and dyeing in the early church time. Lydia definitely had to be courageous and determined to make it as a businesswoman of that time period. I enjoyed the humorous spots and fell in love with some great quotes. My favorite was “I follow a scarred Redeemer. Somehow I think our scars become holy in the shadow of His. And His plans are made perfect in the demolition of our own devices.” (page 290). We can learn a lot from Tessa Afshar's Lydia!

I highly recommend this author. I have enjoyed three of her novels so far and have purchased all three for my church library. I look forward to reading more of her books.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike! I posted a graphic with the text on it on FB soon after I first read it. Love that quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=347430905696728&set=a.122038974902590.1073741828.100012894637498&type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed by the blog author prior to publication.