Wednesday, August 22, 2007

This one's for Ely

Ely inspired me to try to learn more about my little saying that can be found under my picture and in the signature of my emails and on message boards.  The "Dust if you must" quote.

My husband's dear aunt received one of those forwarded emails that go 'round and 'round in Cyberspace.  In it were the words

Dust if you must, but there's not much time,
with rivers to swim and mountains to climb,
music to hear and books to read,
friends to cherish and a life to lead.


Knowing my fondness (ahem, uh, addiction  ) of books and the dust bunnies in my home (more  ) that I chase once in awhile, she knew I'd love it.  She was right.

Well, Ely in Chicago (who also hangs out on the FIAR message board) asked me about it today.  Had I made it up?   Isn't it lovely when people think you could be so talented as to write a poem?    It did promp me to google, to see if I could find an author.

Most websites said "Author Unknown," but I did find one that listed an author.  It also listed the entire poem.

Here's what I came up with.

Dust if You Must
by Patsy Clairmont




Dust if you must, but wouldn't it be better
To paint a picture or write a letter,
Bake a cake or plant a seed
Ponder the difference between want & need?



Dust if you must, but there's not much time
With rivers to swim and mountains to climb

Music to hear and books to read

Friends to cherish and life to lead



Dust if you must, but the world's out there

With the sun in your eyes, the wind in your hair

A flutter of snow, a shower of rain

This day will not come round again


Dust if you must, but bear in mind

Old age will come, and it is not kind

And when you go and go you must

You, yourself, will make more dust



Even more to ponder, huh? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed by the blog author prior to publication.