Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Still baking--Sweet Potato Pie and Casserole

Tonight, as are many of you, I'm preparing for Thanksgiving.  I've set the bread out to rise overnight.   I just took out a sweet potato pie and I've started preparing the sweet potato casserole that I'll bake tomorrow.   Tomorrow I'll make the scalloped corn and bake the bread and the casserole.


The Sweet Potato Pie recipe came from Esther Glenn of the Five in a Row boards almost 2 years ago.  I've been wanting to make it ever since and just never did.  It's very easy to make and I certainly don't think I'll be waiting long to make another!  Here's the recipe:

Esther Glenn's Sweet Potato Pie

2 eggs
1 c. sugar
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 c. milk
2 T. butter
1 1/2 c. mashed sweet potato (about half of a 40 oz. can)
1 unbaked pie shell

Beat the eggs slightly and add sugar, salt, cinnamon, and milk.  Add butter to mashed potatoes and blend with milk and egg mixture.  Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake for 10 minutes in a 450* oven.  Then reduce heat to 350* and bake 30-40 minutes or until the filling is firm.

This make a thick pie.  I double the recipe and make three pies that are a little thinner.

Note from Celia:  I used one deep dish pie pan and the recipe was just a smidgen more than I need to fill it.


Have a blessed Thanksgiving everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipes!

    Have a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!


    "Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, For His lovingkindness is everlasting." Psalm 107:1

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed by the blog author prior to publication.